Saturday, 5 March 2016

Beautiful Blooms

This week I was lucky enough to find the new issue of Papercraft Inspirations Magazine. I had been on the lookout for it as it had some handy score boards included and I say lucky as it was the last one on the shelf...buried behind a gardening mag!


It has full instructions included to make lovely little rosettes but, as ever, I decided to see what I could do with it instead ;)

Here's what I did!
First I made the rosettes as per the instructions (top left) , using some lovely 12x12 paper by Maja Designs called 'Coffee in the Arbour. One side was striped and one gingham with a lovely distressed look. I added a button to each centre.
Once I had 6 rosettes I then snipped into each one, just as far as the point (top right).
Then i fired up my trusty glue gun (watch your fingers here) I put a small amount of glue between the snipped sections and squeezed the already scored paper together. This turned the rosette into a pointy flower.
I liked them so much I decided to turn them into a picture!
First I cut a rough vase shape from some brown speckled pearlescent cardstock I had leftover measuring approx 7.5 x 4.5", and as I never throw anything away I had a rummage and found a couple of paper hearts that were left from a die cut I had used ( this is why I hoard).
Now as lovely as the card was I decided it needed a bit more so decided to emboss it.

I used an xcut A4 folder with a lovely swirly butterfly design.

Next I cut two strips of the same paper I had used for the flowers into 1.5 and 1cm pieces and added some double sided tape
I added these to the top and bottom of my vase and trimmed of the excess.
I was lucky enough to have this box frame spare from another project and it was perfect for this!I carefully removed the back and the piece of paper they put in with the size etc on. I used this paper for the background of my picture as its a perfect fit so it seemed silly not to! I just needed to make it a bit more interesting!

I had a lovely silver Dovecraft ink pad that had yet to be used so I went a bit crazy and smeared it all over the paper which was perfect as it had a coating on it almost like photo paper which meant I had a bit more playtime with it. I then dipped some cotton wool into a little water and squeezed out the excess and smoothed over the entire piece softening the ink splodges. Now a quick coffee while it all dried!
Once dry I added a few strips of strong double sided tape to the back board. I did this rather than spray mount as the flowers and buttons had a little weight so wanted something that will hold. I then smoothed the paper onto the board and temporarily arranged my vase and flowers to see if everything fitted.

 Once I was happy I added some foam squares to hold the vase and give it a bit more dimension and hot glued my flowers in place and added the little hearts.

Everything back in the frame and Voila! I replaced my sorry looking keybox with a pretty picture proudly displayed in my hallway.

mmmm now to do something with the keybox!!



Post a Comment